100km Cycling Day

Cycling in Mumbai is a pain in the ass because of the traffic. We generally go for cycling early in the morning. Although, there have been times when I have gone for cycling in the afternoons. 6:00 am is the preferred time. We are kind of limited by the number of routes here in south mumbai and wanted to try some new longer routes. Thats when we decided to cycle all the way to Kashid. I wanted it to be a 2 day trip but others (Gugan and Rakesh) wanted to comeback on the same day. I was not very sure if I would be able to finish both the trips on the same day. We decided to come back on the same day.

The cycling trip to Kashid happened on 9-Apr-2011. We were suppose to get up early in the morning so that we take the first boat from Gateway of India to Mandwa. Gugan did not get up at the right time. In fact I went to his room in the morning at 6:00 to wake him up. Clearly we had missed the first boat. Both Rakesh and I waited for him downstairs. We reached Gateway of India at around 6:45. We took the 7:00 am boat to Mandwa. We had got three tickets for ourselves and were suppose to pay for the bikes on the boat. It took more than and hour to reach Mandwa. Once there we planned to have breakfast. We had idlis and wada pav.

At 9:00am we started from Mandwa port. We were to go to Kashid via Alibagh, Nagaon and Revdanda. Right at the beginning there was a bit of a climb. And there itself I was wondering if I will be able to finish even one side of the trip or not? We went on. I cycled slower than Gugan and Rakesh. They reached Alibagh (about 17km from Mandwa) some 10 mins before me. They waited there for me but as soon I reached there I ate some biscuits and then they started to move on. I had hardly got some rest. I also started with them there was no point in waiting. Some 3km from Alibagh we are suppose to take a right turn. Gugan and Rakesh missed it. I asked directions to a policeman at the junction, he told me that two guys before me went straight. I called them and they came back. I waited for them at the junction (this was my resting time). Then we moved on. After cycling for a few kilometers that road became bumpy. Although all of us had firefox mountain bikes it was not of much help there. Also the there were a lot of turns at short distances. The others were ahead of me. My hands started to become numb. If fact the tip of my fingers are still numb. But we went on. After Revdanda not only did the trip became more scenic but it also introduces many climbs. We were now cycling on the hills. By this time I was quite exhausted and every kilometer seemed much longer. I was told by some of the people on the way that the climb just before Kashid is pretty long. Every climb I can to I hoped that it was the last climb. At last when it did come I cycled for a while and after that was not able to pull so I got down from the bike and started walking. After a while I saw Gugan resting under a tree. He was exhausted too. We had some energy drinks there. After a while started again. We soon came to a steep downhill slope which brought us back to the sea level and we were at Kashid.

It was a very clean and beautiful beach. The first thing we did was to look for Rakesh who had reached before us. My cell phone was not working as there was no airtel network in Kashid. But we managed to find Rakesh. He was happily having kanda poha on a hammock. We were hungry too and ordered some poha. It was the best poha I had ever eaten (I do not like poha). Then we were off to the water. We went on the banana flip ride. It was great.

After two hours at the beach we ready to go back as the last ferry to Gateway was at 7:00pm. I started first while the others setteled the bills of what we had eaten at the beach. I was happy to go downhill on the long stretch we had to climb while coming. It was pretty hot and sunny now. It was very tiring. My hands were getting numb, neck and buttocks were paining. Some how I managed to reach the port in time. We had vada pav, cold drinks and peda that Rakesh had bought from Alibaugh. We tooks the boat and reached Gateway by 8:00pm. After that we were in no mood to mount on the bikes for the last 3 to 4 km to reach TIFR.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s